• Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection and inflammation of a woman’s pelvic organs, including the uterus (womb), Fallopian tubes (tubes), ovaries, and cervix.
• PID is common and is estimated to affect around 1 million women every year in the US.
• The pelvic inflammatory disease usually develops from the spread of a sexually-transmitted disease (STD).
• Most pelvic inflammatory disease cases are caused by gonorrhea and or Chlamydia, although several different types of bacteria can be responsible.
• Young, sexually active women with multiple sex partners are at the highest risk for pelvic inflammatory disease. Douching and history of PID are other risk factors.
• The pelvic inflammatory disease may not produce any symptoms or signs (referred to as being asymptomatic). In other cases, it can cause
○ abdominal or pelvic pain,
○ vaginal discharge,
○ painful urination, or
○ painful sexual intercourse.
• The treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease involves antibiotics directed against the organisms responsible for the disease.
• Complications of untreated pelvic inflammatory disease can include scarring of the pelvic organs and infertility.
• Pelvic inflammatory disease can be life-threatening in severe cases. Are you searching for Gyn Brooklyn? Doral Health and Wellness — Women’s Health Center is the best option for you.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Symptoms
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an inflammatory and infectious disease and is a complication of a sexually transmitted disease (STD) such as gonorrhea. Common symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease are
• Pelvic pain that radiates to the abdomen
• An abnormal vaginal discharge
• Pain during intercourse or urination
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection of a woman’s reproductive organs. Usually, PID is caused by bacteria from sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Sometimes PID is caused by healthy bacteria found in the vagina. If left untreated, PID can cause problems getting pregnant, problems during pregnancy, and long-term pelvic pain. Looking for professional Gynecologist Brooklyn? Doral Health and Wellness — Women’s Health Center is the most reputed company that leading the pride.
Each year in the United States, more than 1 million women have an episode of PID. More than 100,000 women become infertile each year because of PID. Also, many ectopic pregnancies that occur are due to problems from PID.
Many women do not know they have PID because they do not have any signs or symptoms. When symptoms do happen, they can be mild or more serious. Signs and symptoms include:
• Pain in the lower abdomen (this is the most common symptom)
• Fever (100.4 F or higher)
• Vaginal discharge that may smell foul
• Painful sex
• Painful urination
• Irregular periods
• Pain in the upper right abdomen
By reading this website, you acknowledge that you are responsible for your own health decisions. The information throughout this medical website is not intended to be taken as medical advice. The information provided is intended for general information regarding our multi-specialty clinic in Brooklyn and the best OBGYN Brooklyn Services. If you are interested in finding out more, please contact our Gynecologist Brooklyn specialist for a personal consultation. Avoid worrisome self-diagnosis, the best urogynecology doctors will properly diagnose your problem and refer you to a GYN Brownsville specialist if necessary. No information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease or condition.